Increasing Political Participation of Women in Samoa
Ahead of the 2016 general elections, the Inreased Political Participation of Women in Samoa (IPPWS) project aims to:
- increase community awareness of the importance of ensuring women are able to influence the national development processes through increasing their opportunities for political leadership;
- work with women candidates to strengthen their capacity;
- and work with political parties to raise awareness on gender issues.
Following the elections, the project will support the women members of parliament through a mentoring programme as well as conduct awareness training for all parliamentary members on the importance of gender equality in decision-making and political governance.
Joint Programme Outcome
Increased women's participation in politics through more extensive and effective representation in the parliament.
Joint Programme Outputs
- Outreach and education on the increased political participation of women.
- Working with political parties.
- Capacity building for women candidates.
- Mentoring and support for MPs on Gender.