Phone: +685 23670
Fax: +685 23555
Launch of Samoa Hardship and Poverty Report and Report on Samoa Agricultural SurveyAug 9, 2016The importance of statistics as a basis for both monitoring progress and providing the evidence needed for better policy making in a globally competitive economic environment is significant to meeting the challenges contained in the SAMOA Pathway and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), said Minister of the Samoa Bureau of Statistics, Hon. Lautafi Fio Purcell at the launch of the two documents: Report on the Samoa Agricultural Survey 2015, and Samoa Hardship and Poverty Report An analysis of the 2013/14 Household Income and Expenditure Survey. The SAMOA Pathway has a dedicated section on Data and Statistics, and reliable data and quality statistical analysis are vital for tracking progress of the SDGs.
UNDP-GEF Project Enhanced Resilience of Beach FalesJul 28, 2016Small scale beach fales are iconic with Samoan tourism. These family-run operations, mainly concentrating along the white sandy beaches of southeast Upolu, Manono island, as well as northeast and southeast of Savaii are all located within 20 meters of the seashore.
UN Youth NZ Students Visit UNDP Samoa OfficeJul 12, 2016Ten high school and university students from colleges and universities throughout New Zealand visited the UNDP Multi-Country Office in Apia this week on Tuesday 12th July, to learn more about the work of UNDP in international development, environment and sustainable development. The students were led by two senior youth members, with the visit aiming to expand their knowledge on international relations and especially to pique their interest for the UN Volunteers programme.
Inception Workshop for GEF-funded Ridge to Reef Niue ProjectJul 8, 2016The Ridge to Reef project for Niue had its inception workshop on Thursday 07th July 2016 at the Niue Golf and Sports club in Fonuakula, Alofi.
Launch of the new Sub-Regional Strategy of the UNDP Small Grants Programme (SGP)Jul 5, 2016The lush greenery of the Samoa Cultural Centre, A’ai o Aganu’u Samoa was the picture perfect setting for the recent launch of the Small Grants Programme Sub-Regional Strategy 2015-2018 for Samoa, Tokelau and Niue organised by the Small Grants Programme (SGP) of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
UN to focus on improving the lives of the most vulnerableJun 26, 2016Fifty representatives from the Government of Samoa and Tokelau, together with civil society organizations, private sector, United Nations agencies and other development partners gathered last Thursday at the Tatte Building, in Apia, to attend the consultation organized by the United Nations Country Team in Samoa.
How to work together with the UNJun 19, 2016More than fifty representatives of civil society organizations, the private sector and other development partners attended the consultation organized last Thursday by the United Nations Country Team in Samoa.
World Environment Day Focus on Protecting WildlifeJun 17, 2016This year, the World Environment Day of the UN Environment Programme was celebrated on the 5th of June. The focus this year is on illegal trade in wildlife, such as the killing of elephants for their ivory.
National Consultations to develop new UN Pacific StrategyJun 14, 2016National consultations with civil society organizations and the private sector to develop the new United Nations Pacific Strategy (UNPS) 2018 – 2022 will take place this Thursday, 16th June, 2016 at the FAO Conference Room at Matautu-Uta starting from 9:00am. More than 50 participants are expected to attend representing NGOs, civil society groups, farmer groups, culture and fine arts, private sector representatives, tourist operators, and youth groups.
Strengthening national capacity to boost integrityJun 8, 2016Samoa’s Senior Government Officials are working with the UN in a two-day workshop to analyse where Samoa is already complying with best practices in the UNCAC (United Nations Convention Against Corruption) and to identify challenges still needed to be addressed to boost integrity in the public service.
UNDP Samoa MCO on Facebook
- Atiu SRIC-CC Project Update - Atiu's Household water tanks have changed the life of Mama Tiare who now has constant running water in her home and now has a bathroom inside. She does not need to use an out-house and worry about falling down in the middle of the night. For a Resilient Cook Islands. SRIC-CC helping our communities in the Pa Enua. This project was funded by the SRIC-CC Program UNDP with financial support from the Adaptation Fund. Techelle Kae Mia Teaurima UNDP in Samoa, Cook Islands, Tokelau & Niue Ivy Kesilake Joanne Kabeabealani Emile Adams Jude Isaia #SRICCC #ClimateChangeCookIslands 22 hours ago
- UNDP GEF-AF Sub Regional Project Management Meeting Managers and Coordinators of UNDP Global Environment Fund (GEF) and Adaptation Fund (AF) projects implemented by UNDP Samoa Multi-County Office for Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tokelau met in Apia, from 29th – 30th August 2016 at the Taumeasina Island Resort. The main objective of the meeting is to present the portfolio of the UNDP GEF - AF funded projects by the MCO office and discussed challenges and look at solutions to facilitate the efficiency, effectiveness and impact in project implementation. The workshop built capacities of project stakeholders based on lessons learnt and best practices from our UNDP GEF and AF projects from Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tokelau. UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative, Ms. Lizbeth Cullity said coordination and communication amongst project stakeholders and implementing agencies are critical to the successful implementation of climate change and environment projects. Work plans and budgets and timely provision of technical support will ensure beneficiary communities and their environments are strengthened and resilience to changing climates achieved. Sustainable management of eco-system services, strengthening resilience of communities, encouraging the use of renewable energy sources, and safe guarding national and community assets from impacts of climate change all contribute to achieving the 2030 Agenda on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). 22 hours ago
- Mangaia SRIC-CC Project Update - Mangaia's Carrots hit the market last week Friday. Mangaian farmers are growing a wide variety of vegetables. This project was funded by the SRIC-CC Program UNDP with financial support from the Adaptation Fund. For a resilient Cook Islands. #SRICCC #ResilientCookIslands #ClimateChangeCookIslands You Know You're Mangaian Helen Henry Mangaia Villas - Oneroa, Mangaia, Cook Islands Ivy Kesilake Joanne Kabeabealani ML Tuiravakai Mia Teaurima Debbie Ave UNDP in Samoa, Cook Islands, Tokelau & Niue #ResilientMangaia 27 August AT 03:04 AM
- http://bit.do/csgTn Samoa Minister of the Bureau of Statistics, Hon. Lautafi Fio Purcell launched two documents in Apia last week: Report on the Samoa Agricultural Survey 2015, and Samoa Hardship and Poverty Report An analysis of the 2013/14 Household Income and Expenditure Survey. UNDP Officer in Charge, Ms Naoko Takasu, and FAO Representative, Mr Gavin Wall were official guests at the launch along with government officials, private sector and the media. UNDP's Ms. Naoko Takasu congratulated the Government of Samoa on its remarkable progress towards achieving sustainable human development in spite of several challenges. The report noted the incidence of basic needs poverty declined from 26.9% in 2008 to 18.8% in 2013/2014, however the report further noted inequality is on the rise and has reached alarming levels, with increased vulnerability. The Samoa Agricultural Survey 2015 contains a wealth of agriculture information relevant to development of the sector and is part of government’s collaboration with FAO and other partners to build national capacity in collecting and analyzing agricultural data. The Agriculture Survey Report provides a baseline for the recently launched Agriculture Sector Plan and will direct development of the sector to meet the goals of the sector plan, said Mr. Wall. 16 August AT 11:43 PM
- "See more posts on"UNDP Samoa MCO on Facebook