Phone: +685 23670
Fax: +685 23555
Cook Islands launches Access & Benefits Sharing ProjectMay 16, 2016To strengthen the implementation of the Nagoya Protocol, an ABS project for the Cook Islands held an inception workshop in Rarotonga on Thursday, May 12th, 2016.
World Press Freedom Day celebrated in SamoaApr 29, 2016To commemorate World Press Freedom Day, UNESCO, FAO and UNDP, in partnership with the School of Media and Journalism of the National University of Samoa, organized a seminar that brought together Communication Officers from Government Ministries and Media Representatives.
Celebrating excellence in gender-reportingApr 27, 2016UN Women and UNDP - in partnership with the School of Media and Journalism of the National University of Samoa - celebrated the IPPWS Media Awards.
UNDP: Fastest Population Shift in History Means Make or Break for Asia-PacificApr 26, 2016Long-term planning now can bring unprecedented growth and tackle poverty, conflict and migration
Freedom of information and Sustainable developmentApr 25, 2016With 2016 as the official year to strengthen global commitments on sustainable development through the promotion of 17 Sustainable Development Goals, the United Nations Country Team in Samoa and NUS agreed to host this event to highlight the significance of the media in development and its many functions that can further the cause of improving the quality of life.
Enhancing Niue’s natural resourcesApr 22, 2016Niue’s unique natural environment and ecosystem provide for food security, drinking water and economic livelihood for the raised atoll’s population of over 1,600 people. The sustainability of the country, and the opportunities for its future generations, rely on the conservation and sustainable management of its remarkable natural resources.
Youth get ready for employment in the cultural industriesApr 13, 2016Eleven female and nine male learned the traditional skills of siapo production, mat weaving, wood carving and canoe making. The skills training course was implemented as part of the Government of Samoa and One-UN Youth Employment Programme, with financial support being provided by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
Retreat for Women Members of Parliament in SamoaApr 8, 2016As part of the Increasing Political Participation of Women in Samoa (IPPWS) programme, UNDP and UN Women are organising a Retreat for Women Members of Parliament.
Vaiala Seawall Tree-Planting for SDGsMar 29, 2016To commemorate UNDP 50th Anniversary and to promote the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Vaiala community came out to support the tree planting activity as part of the celebration programme. Vaiala village mayor and village youth joined officers from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and UNDP in planting 17 native coastal tree species along the Vaiala Seawall on Tuesday 22nd, March, 2016, at 3pm. The 17 native trees planted represent the 17 SDGs. Earlier in the morning a parade through town led by the Samoa Police Band took place with 17 schools participating.
Marching for a better futureMar 21, 2016The initiative aimed at helping the students learn and familiarize themselves with the Global Goals. Since then, pupils and teachers, have been debating on how we can translate the SDGs into action. During the ceremony, one representative from each school will be making a short presentation on how best Samoa can work through communities and Government to make the SDGs a reality.
UNDP Samoa MCO on Facebook
- Cook Islands is at the forefront of Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS) of the Nagoya Protocol, regarded as a landmark in the international governance of biodiversity. ABS aims to ensure that benefits arising from the use of genetic resources, or plant diversity and their commercialization are shared in a fair and equitable way with those providing the resources. In the Cook Islands it is specifically referring to plant resources used in traditional medicine. To strengthen the implementation of the Nagoya Protocol, an ABS project for the Cook Islands held an inception workshop in Rarotonga on Thursday, May 12th, 2016. #GEF #ABSproject #NagoyaProtocol #UNDP Yesterday AT 12:48 AM
- Brilliant Colours, Brilliant Resilient Climate Change Cook Islands Wednesday AT 05:08 PM
- Day 1 of our Brilliant Resilient National Seminar. A great day with presentations from Director of Climate Change Ana Tiraa, Director of EMCI Charles Carlson, 14 year old Exceive Papa of Mauke College and the official opening from Hon Minister Kiriau Turepu. #BrilliantResilient #ResilientNow #ClimateActionNow UN Women Pacific United Nations Development Programme - UNDP UNDP in Samoa, Cook Islands, Tokelau & Niue Bank South Pacific South Pacific Environment Information Network [PEIN] South Pacific Pacific-Community-SPC Tuesday AT 06:02 AM
- The World Humanitarian Summit kicked off yesterday. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on governments, businesses and aid groups to commit to halving the number of displaced civilians by 2030. The two-day conference in Istanbul seeks to develop a better response to what the U.N. has called the worst global humanitarian situation since World War Two, with an estimated 130 million people now in need of aid. "We are here to shape a different future," Ban said in a speech at the start of the summit. To follow the summit live: https://www.worldhumanitariansummit.org/live World Humanitarian Summit #WHSummit 23 May AT 04:08 PM
- "See more posts on"UNDP Samoa MCO on Facebook